Employment Permits

Employment Permits are awarded based on specific skilled roles. Permits provide residency in Guernsey's Local Market. 

Guernsey has a two-tier property market, the Local Market and the Open Market. Generally speaking, the Local Market is reserved for individuals with familial connection to the island or those that have been granted Employment Permits to live and work in Guernsey. 

Employment Permits are granted to people who have been invited to live in Guernsey because of their employment skills, or because Guernsey doesn't have enough people to undertake all the jobs that need filling. Employment Permits can only be applied for by an employer, on behalf of an employee.

Employment Permit holders are eligible to live in Guernsey's Local Housing Market, but only Long Term Employment Permit holders can be a householder and accommodate their immediate family.

Employment Permits

An Employment Permit confirms the holder’s ability to live and work lawfully in Guernsey. Guernsey employers make applications for Employment Permits via the Population Management Office. Eligible posts are detailed in the Employment Permit Policy.

Guernsey Employment Permit Policy

There are currently three types of Employment Permits: 

  • Short-Term Employment Permit (STEP) - issued for up to one year, renewable until the holder has three consecutive years’ residence in Guernsey. They must then take a recognised break in residence* before they can hold another STEP. STEP holders must be accommodated by a householder. 

  • Seasonal Employment Permit (SEP) - issued for nine months, followed by a three-month break in residence. This pattern of residence can be maintained without any time limit. SEP holders must be accommodated by a householder. 

  • Long-Term Employment Permit (LTEP) - issued for up to eight years. An LTEP holder can be a householder in the Local Market, and bring their immediate family to the island with them. It is the only Employment Permit that can lead to permanent residency (dependent on time spent on the island and immigration clearance).

Immediate Family - Population Management 

*A recognised break in residence is defined as equal to or greater than a person’s last period of residence. (i.e. up to a maximum of 3 years)

If you are relocating to Guernsey to take up employment, it may be that you are eligible for an Employment Permit to therefore reside in the Local Market. To check whether you are eligible for an Employment Permit, you should speak with your Guernsey employer.

If your employment does not qualify for an Employment Permit, you will need to live in Guernsey's Open Market, subject to immigration clearance. Please contact Locate Guernsey to find out more. 

Immigration Clearance 

The following people do not normally need permission from the Guernsey Border Agency to come to the island as residents:

  • British citizens or Irish Passport holders

  • Other nationals who have permanent settlement in the United Kingdom, Bailiwick of Jersey or the Isle of Man.

Those that do not fall into one of the above categories will need valid immigration clearance in addition to their Employment Permit. If you require a visa to live and work in Guernsey, it's important to speak to your employer to ensure they intend to apply for a visa for you. 

Please note that you must have applied and be granted your work-related visa, prior to relocation to the island.

Further information regarding Employment Permits and visa rules, can be found on the Population Management Website:

Employment Permit Process