The following people do not normally need permission from the Guernsey Border Agency to come to the island as residents or indeed to set up a business in the Bailiwick of Guernsey:

  • British citizens or Irish Passport holders
  • Other nationals who have permanent settlement in the United Kingdom, Bailiwick of Jersey or the Isle of Man.

Any other person wishing to establish themselves in business in the Bailiwick must obtain an entry clearance (visa) prior to his/her arrival.

Learn more about the Entrepreneur and Investor Visa schemes here.

The entry clearance must be applied for through the British Consular representative in the person’s country of residence. This is usually initially done through an online process via the UK Home Office website. Discussions with the Locate Guernsey Team are recommended who will be able to provide advice and contacts on Island to aid the start of this process.

Alderney and Sark Immigration

The Immigration position for those who are not British citizens or Irish passport holders wishing to move to Alderney or Sark is somewhat different. On all Immigration matters, Locate Guernsey is well placed to assist.