Guernsey has two property markets: the Open market and the Local market.

In simple terms, for people wishing to live in Guernsey who do not have an existing right to live in a Local Market property, the Open Market is often the ‘route in’ to establishing residency. People who are coming to Guernsey to work – either employed, self-employed or as an employer – may be able to reside in Guernsey’s Local Market and need to apply for a permit to do so.

The Open Market route is very straightforward and available to anyone who holds an EU passport.

The Open Market is also available to non-EU passport holders, but the Guernsey Border Agency will also be involved in assessing the application from an immigration perspective. The Locate Guernsey Team is able to advise on the differences between the two Market types and which option might be most suitable.

Housing Licenses - Locate Guernsey

The States of Guernsey’s Population Management team grant employment permits which enable employers to recruit staff who are not resident in Guernsey. These permit staff whose skills are in short supply in Guernsey, or are otherwise deemed essential to buy or rent local market accommodation. Key roles have been identified by Population Management working closely with industry stakeholders to create ‘in policy’ jobs.

Please note – if you have accommodation options that may not be a good fit for your family circumstances then please contact Population Management, or the Locate Guernsey team, as soon as possible.

Housing Licenses - Locate Guernsey