FinVention 2016: Presenting the best of digital and fintech products in Guernsey
3rd October 2016
Found in: Blog -
FinVention 2016, supported by the States of Guernsey, will bring FinTech, Innovation, Digital Entrepreneurs, Invention and Business Diversity together in a new event that is about the “best of breed” in the world of innovative technological products and services in the FinTech, digital and startup sectors.
Products presented at FinVention will be in various stages of maturity and will include Guernsey and International start‐ups as well as mature businesses.
Using a fast paced format whereby presenters will have no more than five to seven minutes to present their product or service, FinVention will be an interactive forum for people who want to:
- Present their ideas that will start a conversation with potential users, investors, purchasers and partners
- Attract first or secondary investment for their technologically driven products and services
- Experience why Guernsey is a jurisdiction of FinTech, digital and entrepreneurial invention.
Giles Andrews OBE, Co-Founder and current Executive Chairman of Social Lending online business Zopa, and non-executive Chairman of Bethnal Green Ventures, will be the keynote speaker at the event. Zopa is the world’s oldest and Europe’s largest peer-to-peer lending service having lent over £1billion.
Key sponsors for the event include White Star Capital, Carey Olsen, Grant Thornton, Channel Island Securities Exchange, Ravenscroft, Temenos, Microgen Financial Systems and CYD.TAX, as well as the States of Guernsey.
FinVention 2016 will comprise twenty products that will be demonstrated throughout the day; a keynote speaker who will challenge conventional wisdom and thinking in the world of FinTech and FinVention; two opinion leaders who will encapsulate the highlights of the morning and afternoon’s sessions and a Happy Hour + of networking at the end of the afternoon.
- 8AM to 6PM on Tuesday 1 November
- Whittaker Hall, St James
- £75 delegate cost includes breakfast, lunch and mid‐morning and mid‐afternoon refreshments.
The products and services that are “demoed” will have exhibitor stands in the main conference hall so that delegates can have their own conversations with the originators of these progressive and technological and digital inventions.
- Agriledger – using blockchain to create ‘circle of trust’ and network that is ‘incorruptible’ for farmers in developing countries
- Tag Team – electronic crowd control system. Attached to a wristwatch designed to manage last crowds and prevent injury, could be applied globally
- Aqualevo – elevated swimming pool cover system which uses digital technology as a safety feature
- CYD.TAX – Count days towards tax residency thresholds in different jurisdictions
- Ozaris – Codifying law. Using digital technology to develop more simple legal contracts
“Guernsey is already known as a jurisdiction of excellence for its financial sector. FinVention 2016 is the island’s opportunity to enlighten and inform delegates, demo presenters, investors and purchasers of the wealth of digital technological creativity and entrepreneurialism that is resident in Guernsey and to get to know the people behind the great ideas” said Deputy Andrea Dudley‐Owen, member of the Committee for Economic Development which is supporting this initiative.